ENG Network Advantages
ENGenesis™ – Re-Inventing ENG with LTE
The days of tuning in time consuming 2GHz microwave ENG shots with high gain steerable dishes and using auto POD tracking antennas are long gone. ENGenesis™ provides a welcome addition to the studio news operation crew. It creates a self-forming mobile ad- hoc network around your central receive sites, utilizing LTE technology within the licensed Broadcast Auxiliary Services (BAS) band. ENG UE (User Equipment) assets can travel between receive sites and not lose connectivity for a news shot. The LTE technology automatically selects the appropriate receive tower and seamlessly provides connectivity to the studio.
The utilization of the LTE waveform enables News operation crews to produce a live ENG shot as easy as making a call on your cell phone, except for dialing a number, you are automatically connected to the studio. Every ENGenesis™ UE (User Equipment) utilizes a SIM card to automatically authenticate to the BAS LTE network at the studio.
Very similar to a public 4G LTE network, ENGenesis has the capability to support multiple users within the same network all within a 12MHz ENG channel, versus conventional COFDM microwave that can only support one or two video programs within a channel.
LTE Network Advantages over COFDM
- Provides in band – bi-directional communications from the asset to the studio within the same ENG channel
- LTE waveform has a higher RF system gain – provides for a longer range with a higher efficiency
- Adaptive power control – only uses the power required – higher efficiency operation for adjacent channel operation
- Self-optimizing network – adaptive modulation – allows for hands free operation – creates a mobile Ad-Hoc connection
- Helicopter assets do not require an auto tracking POD antenna – no RF management is required and the helicopter is always connected to the network
- Helicopters can fly without the cameraman aboard, as the gimbal camera can be controlled from the studio